Walter von Forster was born on 15 June 1915 in Nuremberg. Starting in 1921 he had lessons in piano and harmony with Church Music Director Leonhard Stirnweiss. After graduating from high school (1934 in Nuremberg), he studied composition and church music in Munich with Joseph Haas, Hermann Sagerer, Walter von Hoesslin, and others.
While still attending the master class of Joseph Haas, Forster was able to have early compositions including piano works, song cycles, a string quartet, a Suite for Chamber Orchestra, etc. performed in Munich and at the Chamber Concerts for Contemporary Music in Nuremberg (organized by Dr. Adalbert Kalix), until these events were hindered by the Nazis.
Dispensed from military service, he gave private instruction and received a position as choir conductor and organist of St. Stephans Church in Munich-Nymphenburg in 1943.
In 1946, after the collapse of the Nazi regime, he was appointed teacher (later professor) of music theory at the newly opened Staatliche Hochschule für Musik (State College of Music) in Munich. He retired in 1979, but remained active as a freelance composer. Walter von Forster died on 24 November 2002 at Herrsching am Ammersee.
Many of his works have been broadcast on radio (Harpsichord Concerto, Piano Concerto, orchestral, piano, organ and chamber music works) and performed in concert. A large part of his oeuvre has never been performed and can still be discovered.
All works exist in original, photocopied, or printed form.